Sunday, September 2, 2007

...where did I go?

Well, a lot has happened as of late. I'm regretting not posting more, but a lots been going on, the good news is that I no have plenty of stuff to write about! I'm going to start of start off with the boring stuff to get it out of the way, namely my new bike.
It all started when Emily's wheels were starting to go on her redline t&t, and before long I decided I was just going to give Sleipnir (my previous bike) to Emily and upgrade my bike, as I really like flatland and Emily deserved a nice bike, not some rusty clunker. So I pretty much upgraded almost every part, I still have the same cranks, but other than that it's all new. I managed to drop the weight by about 4 pounds (around 24 now) and added some very flatland specific parts, some of the high lights are:
-My new frame! the St. Martin Wells, it is unbelievably beautiful! the extra clearance above and below the frame is definitely noticeable. The geometry feels great and weight is a ridiculous 4.3 lbs!
-My new back wheel is a KHE geisha free coaster. A free coaster (as opposed to a freewheel or cassette drive) has a clutch system that keeps the hub disengaged from the wheel until a certain pedaling happens. The point of this is that when I roll backwards, my clutch isn't engaged and my pedals don't move (where normally they would spin around and smash my poor shins!), and as a bonus it is damn near silent, no annoying clickity clickity clickity clickity when I coast. Also the 9t driver on it allows me to go down to a 23 tooth chain wheel!
-My sweet braking system! the brakes were a score on ebay (mad cheap) and the complete SNAFU dual braking system is smooth as butter! I have front brakes coming in the mail with a matching brake lever!
All in all the bike is absolutely awesome, light, ultra responsive and oh so very roomy! My progress had been a little slow however, the bike took forever to all get here (it was purchased piece by piece off line and I built it up) and then school and weddings and trips and financial aid and AHHHHHH!
Luckily the last few days I've gotten a ton of time in riding and I'm getting better. I'm about a hair away from landing full fire hydrants, I can pull, hold and scuff steam rollers now and I'm working on figuring spins out. The only problem is that my riding spot (the teen center on Harris) is busy later and later and the dang sun is setting sooner and sooner! I've looked around, but without having to drive in my car I can't really find another decent flat open space (let alone smooth!)to ride on.

Any way, expect more bike stuff to come, but in the next few days/weeks expect to hear about: My schooling ,my brothers wedding, and lots of new photo's, but for now I want to go watch t.v. and then sleep!

-Kai

No comments: